This page details the history of the chapters that meet in Leigh
Marquis of Lorne Chapter No 1354 – Consecrated on 17 May 1919
The chapter was consecrated on 17 May 1919 following three pre-consecration meetings, the first held at The White Horse Hotel in Railway Road, Leigh and the second and third at the Co-operative Hall, Bradshawgate, Leigh. At these meetings the necessary resolutions were taken with respect to the organisation and running of the new chapter and included decisions on the furniture, fees and subscriptions.
The chapter holds an annual dinner dance, on the fourth Saturday in April, and this has been for many years a most enjoyable conclusion to the season.
Makerfield Chapter No 2155 – Consecrated on 17th July 1894
Makerfield Chapter was founded towards the end of the Victorian era. Britain had a thriving Empire and lucrative discoveries were being made in her colonies. Morse signal, early radio and the internal combustion engine were only just developing. Against this backcloth the founders (members of Elias Ashmole Chapter No 148) set upon a course of bringing this chapter into being.
The chapter was consecrated at the Pied Bull Hotel, Newton-le-Willows, but in 1903 moved to the chapter rooms at the town hall. In 1939 the town hall was vacated and the chapter moved to Newton Cricket Club Pavilion. Five years later a move back to the town hall was followed in 1958 by relocation to the Fleece Hotel, Ashton-in-Makerfield. Finally, in 1975 the chapter moved to its present home in Leigh.
In 1994 the chapter celebrated its centenary. At this meeting a centenary charter was presented and centenary jewels distributed to all members on what was both a memorable and enjoyable occasion.
Currently chapter members are drawn from lodges outside the Leigh Group, reflecting Makerfield Chapters links with its past; indeed, this practice is encouraged, as new friendships are made in a wider circle of Masons. All the members are proud to be associated with this old and respected chapter. They are very much aware of the fine traditions and the practice of Freemasons virtues that have been handed down from the founders, which we will preserve for our future companions.
Atherton Chapter No 4488 – Consecrated on 21 November 1944
Atherton Chapter was consecrated at the rooms in Gas Street, Leigh. The mother chapter was the Marquis of Lorne Chapter No 1354 and the chapter was to be attached to the Atherton Lodge No 4488 and met at the rooms in Atherton. In 1944 the annual subscription was set at £1.10s.0d (£1.50) and the current subscription is £35.00.
The chapter moved to Leigh on Monday 2 October 1967. In June 1968 it was agreed that the chapter equipment be combined with that of the Marquis of Lorne Chapter and the Chapter of Truth.
Chapter of Truth No 6235 – Consecrated on 21 September 1949
On 2 February 1949, following petition, a warrant was issued by Supreme Grand Chapter and the chapter was consecrated on 21 September 1949. The new chapter was to be attached to the Lodge of Truth No 6235 which itself had only come into being some three years previously. All the founders were members of chapters in the Leigh Group.
Having met earlier in Henrietta Street, the new chapter followed the Lodge of Truth in 1965 to its present home in Leigh.
The members are not solely from the Lodge of Truth since the chapter draws its current membership from a wide number of lodges both in Leigh and from further afield.
The chapter is in good health and its meetings are very happy and enjoyable occasions.