Hadrian’s Wall walk in memory of Bradford City 56

The day that marked the 30th anniversary of the fire at Bradford City football ground was 11 May, the fire claimed the lives of 56 people, young and old. David Scott, the WM of Rose of Lancaster Lodge No 2325, was there that day and was unable to help due to the intensity of heat.

David at the start of his charity walk.

David at the start of his charity walk.

David having retired is now in a position to help the victims so he decided to walk Hadrian’s Wall to raise money for the Bradford Burns and Plastic Surgery Unit. This unit performed miracles following the fire dealing with people with horrendous injuries and some were disfigured for life.

He set off from Wigan Station at 8:40am on Monday 8 June heading to Carlisle to start his walk along Hadrian’s Wall. Once at Carlisle his route took him through Low Crosby along the banks of the River Eden heading to Brampton for his overnight stop. Whilst there, and in need of refreshment after his labour, he tried a local hostelry, only to find another Bradford City supporter who actually lives in the village.

The next day David started out at around 9am towards Banks Turret and then heading towards Birdoswald Fort where he stopped for coffee and a look around, continuing onwards up on to the crags which were never ending. There were in total five crags on this section and at the top of the third, David said he understood why a friend of his commented: “I’ll never do this again!!”

Onward and upward David finally arrived at his hotel at 7:30pm where lodge member Ken Hornby and his wife and a couple of friends had been waiting to greet him. However due to his later than expected arrival they had had to leave, but not before Ken had paid for a couple of pints for him behind the bar as he knew David would be in need of an energy drink or two following a very tough day.

On Wednesday it was much of the same in the morning, crag after crag. David said he doesn’t know where the saying, ‘What goes up must come down’, comes from because all he seemed to do was climb up. Having encountered four crags before heading to the wall, he made his hotel for the evening at around 7pm.

Thursday heralded a more sedate walk before his overnight stop in Matfen which also happened to have a micro-brewery on site which was a very welcome treat. The following day David set off with a slight headache, but doesn’t blame the micro-brewery for this, as he soon walked it off along the wall heading to Ryton near to the Tyne arriving around 6pm.

Day six Saturday, the final day, it was the last push to Wallsend which took David along the banks of the Tyne and through the lower part of Newcastle along the old ‘wagon way’. He arrived in Wallsend at around 2pm. David said he thought at some point that someone must have stolen or moved the town sign as he wondered if it was ever going to appear. However, what a sense of relief and achievement he felt on arriving at the fort marking, as the name suggests, the end of the wall.

In total, David walked the 84 miles along Hadrian’s Wall and was physically exhausted at the end, but totally elated mentally at having been able to do something to help the victims and by doing something for such a very worthwhile cause.

David would like to thank all those who made donations. At present the total stands at just over £1,100 but he would like to get this to nearer £2,000. If you would like to help you can donate to this worthy cause at www.justgiving.com/David-Scott56

Highlights of David’s epic journey.

Highlights of David’s epic journey.