Arthur Stanley Lodge No 3469 was consecrated on 29 November 1910, and the first lodge meeting was held at the St Georges Restaurant in Red Cross Street Liverpool. Around 1911 the lodge moved to the Carlton Restaurant in Eberley Street Liverpool but transferred to the Bear’s Paw Public House, 53 Lord Street Liverpool. Meetings continued there until the pub was destroyed by a bomb during an air raid in 1941. The majority of the lodge records, furniture and warrant were destroyed during the raid and that is why the present warrant is a duplicate.
So you can understand how delighted the current lodge secretary, Mike Sheron, was to receive an email from Mr Frederick Morley all the way from Canada containing information regarding a piece of lodge memorabilia dated 1919. Frederick had in his possession a lodge menu relating to ‘The Ladies’ Social’ held at the Bear’s Paw Restaurant, 53 Lord Street, Liverpool on Monday 13 January 1919.
This item came into Frederick’s possession when his mother-in-law came to live with him in Canada in 1990 after the sale of her home in Heswall, Cheshire. It is thought that the document belonged to his wife’s grandfather who was a member of the lodge. In the process of moving house himself this year, he came across the document whilst packing, and after exhaustive research found the web link to Arthur Stanley Lodge in Ormskirk with the intention of repatriating this piece of lodge history. Mike had no hesitation in accepting Frederick’s very kind offer and is now in possession of the memorabilia.
Looking back at what history still exists, the lodge Ladies’ Evening was introduced on 13 May 1913 and took the form of an invitation from the lodge for ladies to join the brethren for dinner after a regular meeting. The price of the tickets was three shillings and six pence for each lady. How times have changed if only we had Doc Brown’s DeLorean time travelling car.
After the destruction of the Bear’s Paw Public House the lodge continued to meet on a temporary basis in the basement of the Naval Headquarters in Exchange Flags following which a number of other venues where used in the city before eventually a new home was found at the Masonic Hall in Ormskirk where the lodge has a very bright future.
It has been observed many times that the move to Ormskirk was likened to the lodge coming back home, as the Stanley family has a very long and very close association with the market town.