On this page you will find the histories of the lodges in our group
32 – St George’s Lodge of Harmony
Although not the oldest lodge in the Province, ’32’, as it is known, its formal name being rather too long for everyday conversation, is probably the most distinguished lodge in the Province. It was one of the ‘Antient; or ‘Athol’ Lodges and was founded in 1755 as No 45. In 1786, the lodge purchased the warrant of the then defunct lodge 25, which accounts for its low number today. The lodge was re-numbered 38 on the union of the two Grand Lodges and then re-numbered 35 in 1832 and 32 in 1883, which number it retains today.
The lodge was prominent in the ‘Great Liverpool Rebellion’ when it took the side of Grand Lodge. The first nine Provincial Grand Masters of the Province of West Lancashire were all subscribing members of the lodge, although not all were initiated into it.
Masonically, the most prominent member of 32 was probably the 1st Earl of Lathom who rose to the high distinction of Pro Grand Master from 1891 to 1898. The 16th Earl of Derby, a notable politician and statesman and who became Governor General of Canada was also a member, having been initiated into 32. Other members of the lodge have included many national and local notables and even James Maybrick who attained some notoriety when his wife Florence was convicted of his murder. She was subsequently pardoned but only after spending 15 years in prison.
The lodge has many peculiar and time-honoured traditions, including ‘calling off for refreshment’, dining round its own long table in regalia and closing the lodge round the table after dinner. It also owns some beautiful and historic furniture, including the master’s chair, which was presented to the lodge by Lord Penhryn in 1784 and an old oil painted tracing cloth, probably dating from around 1815. The original now hangs in the Provincial Grand Secretary’s office and a reproduction is used for lodge meetings
The Lodge first met at the Bird in Hand Public House in Castle Ditch, near where Derby Square stands today and, after many moves over the next 250 years now meets at the Britannia Adelphi Hotel where it celebrated its 250th anniversary in February 2007 in the presence of the Pro Grand Master, The Most Hon. TheMarquess of Northampton.
155 – Lodge of Perseverance
The warrant of a lodge is the authority under which it holds its meetings and would under normal circumstances be the instrument which forms and determines its origin. The warrant of the Lodge of Perseverance is dated 27 July 1777 and was originally designated for a lodge to be formed in Florida, part of our American Colonies. The fact that that date falls within the period of the American War of Independence probably explains why it was never issued. Our true history is chronicled from 1803 when the lodge was formed in Preston, Lancashire.
The Lodge of Perseverance has operated in its own inimitable style from that date and continues into the 21st century, members continuing to practise the exposition of Masonic principles at their meeting place inside the Britannia Adelphi Hotel and in the world at large.
The membership of the lodge is limited in size to 25 brethren and admittance is by invitation only. The lodge continues its very old tradition of the members wearing entered apprentices’ aprons so there is no light or dark blue to be seen. The lodge also continues to meet at lunchtime, another very old tradition. Its strength lies in the friendship which animates its brethren and the amity and affection in which it’s brethren hold their lodge and each other.
216 – Harmonic LodgeThe history book compiled by the much loved and dedicated author, the late George Orr PPrJGW, to mark the 200th anniversary of the lodge in 1996, has been the source of the information reproduced on this page and includes many extracts from the book. Grateful thanks to George for compiling the data spending endless hours trawling through the minute books.
Harmonic Lodge No 216 received its warrant on 22 April 1796, an antient lodge, and as it was prior to the unification in 1813, is classified an Athol Lodge. The lodge was founded by eight highly ranked Freemasons and held its first meeting in Merlin’s Cave, a subterranean tavern in Mersey Street, Liverpool, on a site now occupied by the Hilton Hotel. The first WM being, John Bird, one of the founder members. As listed in the Provincial Yearbook, 216 is the sixth oldest in the Province, therefore, whenever a new Provincial Grand Master is to be installed, the current WM is invited to be one of the small number of escorts at the installation ceremony.
Over the years, the lodge made changes to its number and had various meeting places until in 1847 they settled at The Adelphi Hotel. There they remained until 1913 having to move out only to allow the demolition of the original Adelphi and the construction of the current building. After five further moves including twice residing at The Masonic Hall, Hope Street, Harmonic Lodge returned to The Adelphi Hotel in January 2012.
Between 1831 and 1838, there appears to be no records held by United Grand Lodge that the lodge actually met during that period although lodge records are to the contrary. However, Grand Lodge would not budge despite supporting correspondence which was provided by the lodge secretary at that time. The lodge therefore only received its centenary warrant in 1938. It was only possible to celebrate 200 years since receiving the original warrant, on 22 April 1996. We shall have to wait until 2038 to claim a bi-centenary warrant.
The lodge is privileged to have had many famous members during its history. Sir Robert James Cain, brewer and banker, Charles Chubb the locksmith founder of Chubb International, Charles Radcliffe, printer, founder of Oyez Press, Lenard George Hanson and Alfred William Hanson, founders of Hanson’s Dairies and John Samuel Holt, owner of holt Shipping which became the Blue Funnel Line.
Sacred Delta Chapter No 216, is attached to Harmonic Lodge and came into being as a separate entity on Wednesday 19 September 1849 at the Adelphi Hotel. Before that date Harmonic Lodge, then numbered 263 carried out Royal Arch ceremonies as permitted by its warrant under the old constitutions, so it can be claimed that in Sacred Delta history master Masons have been receiving exaltation since 1796.
The following is a list of dates and the various meeting places covering almost 220 years.
1796 to 1800 Merlin’s Cave, Mersey Street.
1800 to 1801 Merlin’s Cave,Mersey Street.
1801 to 1803 Peggy’s Tavern, Liver Street.
1804 to 1819 Ward’s Castle Tavern, Lord Street.
1819 to 1827 Preston’s Circus Hotel, Christian Street.
1827 to 1838 The Star,Williamson Square.
1838 – The Bluebell, London Road.
1838 to 1847 The Rainbow Hotel, Williamson Square.
1847 – The Clayton Hotel, Clayton Square.
1847 to 1915 The Adelphi Hotel, Lime Street.
1915 to 1971 The Exchange Hotel, Tithebarn Street.
1971 to 1976 The Carlton Masonic Club, Eberly Street.
1977 to 1981 The Masonic Hall, Hope Street.
1981 to 1989 The Lyceum Club, Paradise Street.
1989 to 2011 The Masonic Hall, Hope Street.
2012 to present The Adelphi Hotel.
17 changes and 14 venues in 219 years
667 – Grassendale Alliance
Grassendale Alliance Lodge No 667 was formed from the amalgamation of two old and honourable lodges both at the time of the amalgamation, meeting at The Masonic Hall, Hope Street, Liverpool., both members of The Liverpool Trafalgar Group of Lodges.
Alliance Lodge No 667 was founded in Roby near Liverpool in 1856 and was originally numbered No 965.
Grassendale Lodge No 4808 was founded in 1926 in The Masonic Hall, Hope Street, and Liverpool.
The amalgamation and new name was ratified by Grand Lodge on 9 December 2009. The members agreed on a move from Hope Street to The Adelphi Hotel and held their first meeting there in March 2011. Consequently becoming part of The Gladstone Group of Lodges and Chapters.
680 – Imperial Sefton
From a reading of the history of Imperial Sefton Lodge No 680 as set out by our forefathers at the centenary celebration of Sefton in 1956 and the 150th celebrations of the amalgamated lodges in 2006, it will be clear to anyone that the rationale and thinking behind both lodges was remarkably similar.
A fatalist would assume that amalgamation was pre-destined and in fact the conjoining of the lodges has proved to be friendly, inspired and invigorating. Both lodges have always maintained low membership numbers, and whilst this is the norm in present days throughout Masonry, it has been the choice of the two lodges.
Both insisted on maintaining high standards in the accommodation with particular emphasis on high standards of catering and generosity with their guests. These attitudes have continued and it is the hope of the lodge that guests will experience an evening they will not forget combined with a desire to return in the future.
Antonis Georges PPSGW and past secretary to Imperial Sefton Lodge No 680.
A more complete history of the lodges.
The Sefton Lodge No 680 was founded by 12 brethren on 28 June 1856 and it first met at the Litherland Park Hotel, Litherland moving thereafter to the former Adelphi Hotel, Liverpool. There it stayed for 44 years and during this period the Imperial Lodge was founded in 1898. The latter was constituted for the purposes of affording facilities to masons ‘who were resident in and around Sefton Park’.
Meanwhile Sefton Lodge, in 1914, moved its meeting place to the Exchange Hotel until that closed in 1971. The Sefton Lodge then moved to the Lyceum and in October, 1978 moved to the Adelphi Hotel, Liverpool. Three years later the Imperial Lodge moved to the Lyceum at its new location in Minster House. By coincidence the Sefton Lodge returned to the Lyceum in 1981. The lodges then had a parting of the ways and the Imperial Lodge remained there until 1988, when the club closed, and then moved to the Masonic Hall in Hope Street, Staff House, Abercrombie Square, Racquets Club and finally the Adelphi Hotel.
The Sefton Lodge also had a peripatetic existence after 1988. Its travels have resulted in meetings at a variety of places and included the Masonic Hall, Hope Street, Atlantic Tower Hotel and Liverpool Racquet Club until settling in the Artists Club in October, 2001. The amalgamation brings the combined lodges to the Artists Club but the size of the club necessitated the amalgamation meeting to be held at the Adelphi Hotel.
Whilst the paths of the two lodges have converged and crossed in their long histories, they have always maintained a close friendship with a number of joint members. Both lodges have always had limited membership with numbers in Sefton Lodge never exceeding 50 and rarely exceeding 50 for Imperial Lodge. The sizes have enabled the close and intimate friendship of the members to flourish whilst always ensuring that both lodges make visitors most welcome.
A short history of the lodges cannot be complete without a reference to the many brethren who have gained high honours in the last 50 years. Lawrie Rutherford was Assistant PrGM (1949-52), Deputy PrGM (1952-57) and PrGM (1957-68). D Ryan was Assistant PrGM (1974-83) whilst L M (Tim) Stewart was Assistant PrGM (1967-69). In addition, there have been eight acting Provincial Grand Wardens: D Ryan 1964 (Junior), D L Nichols 1969 (Senior) D Robinson 1977 (Senior), S L J Byron 1983 (Junior), C H Ryan 1989 (Junior), E W Waites 1995 (Senior) I A Fisher 1997 (Senior) and A Georges 2007 (Senior)
On 14 January 2005, the two Lodges amalgamated in a ceremony conducted at the Britannia Adelphi Hotel, Liverpool under the direction of the Provincial Grand Master, Colin Penty Wright. 28 June marked the 150th anniversary of the founding of Sefton Lodge. The two amalgamated lodges have grown in peace and harmony.
786 – Croxteth United Service Lodge
The Croxteth Lodge was consecrated on 20 July 1859 at the West Derby Hotel, West Derby, Liverpool. In August 1863 ‘United Service’ was added to the lodge’s name, the reasoning behind this appending to the name of the Lodge is to be found in the number of members belonging to some branch of the Armed Forces, a tradition that, has been maintained down the history of the Lodge.
The present qualifications for joining the Lodge are: ‘To be either a member or retired member of Her Majesties Armed Forces and Gentlemen’.
Our history is littered with members who have been honoured by the reigning Monarch for deeds of valour, there are to many too list, we even have a VC.
The Lodge meets at The Artist Club, Eberele Street, Liverpool. The first Friday of October; November; December; February and March. The members maintain the Lodges custom and devote one evening to a Mess Dinner, when Masonic and non-Masonic gentlemen are invited to dine.
2923 – Coronation Lodge
Coronation Lodge is numbered 2923 and was consecrated in Sefton Park Assembly Rooms, Aigburth Road, Liverpool on 8 September 1902, just one month after the coronation of Edward V11, which was postponed from its original date of 26 June to 9 August as the King was taken ill with appendicitis and he had to undertake surgery.
The history of the lodge comments that the Masons waiting to attend the consecration were used to toasting Her Majesty the Queen Victoria who had reigned from 1876 to 1901 and the toast to the new King would be a complete change – some were sure to slip up at the toast.
The first meeting was on 9 October when three candidates were admitted under the mastership of George A Harradon. In 1908 at the Installation meeting eight courses were taken by the members, where as in 1944 during the second world war spam fritters and Woolton Pie were eaten (Woolton Pie after, we assume Lord Woolton then the Minister of Food – one wonders what, if anything was inside the pie!).
During the First World War several members were involved in active service and sadly some died in combat. The lodge gave a wheeled stretcher, described as rather like a Surrey to the Red Cross Hospital in Rouen as a token of gratitude for the care our lodge members had received.
The lodge meet in a variety of places in these years the Angel Hotel in Dale Street, Exchange Hotel, Carlton Hotel in Eberle Street, the Shaftesbury Hotel, Woolton Hall, and Masonic Hall in Hope Street and currently meets at the Brittannia Adelphi Hotel.
What of the past members of the lodge? R I Lloyd Moore in the chair in 1930 was a famed organist; George A Harradon and his brother J H Harradon were extremely well known in Masonic circles: T W Gornall, a printer in the city, his son T E Gornall (known as Eric); T R Jones whose occupation was described as an Ecclesiastical Robe Maker; W J Bruxby (Bill) was an architect. It was he who organised visits between the lodge and Duquesne Lodge No 48 in France in 1979. Stan Airey was Lord Mayor of Liverpool and a reception was held in the Mayor’s parlour when he was in the chair. Stan was the Mayor when the then Pope visited the city in 1981. There were other notable characters, Tom Crosby who was a comedian and had played alongside Arthur Askey during the war.
What of the lodge today? A membership of 20 or so – all the ‘floor. Officers of the lodge are master Masons and we look forward to our number growing and continuing being part of the WI.
3274 – Cecil Lodge
3620 – St Nicholas
St Nicolas Lodge dates back to 12 August 1912 and was formed by membe
rs of the Parish Church of Liverpool, generally known as the ‘Seaman’s Church’.
The lodge meets on the second Monday of the months of September, October, November, January, February and March and is the ideal meeting place for people who work in the city.
The lodge centenary was celebrated in 2012.
4274 – University Lodge of Liverpool
The University Lodge of Liverpool was formed from the staff, graduates and students of the University of Liverpool. The lodge was consecrated in October 1921. Among the founders were The Chancellor (the 17th Earl of Derby) and Vice-Chancellor (J.G. Adami) of the University, The 1st Viscount Leverhulme (benefactor and a Chairman of the Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine), several members of the Professoriate and other members of the academic staff, graduates and students of the university.
The lodge is now open to people with similar academic connections who are students, graduates or staff of Liverpool and other universities. It is a member of the United Grand Lodge of England’s Universities’ Scheme set up specifically ‘to establish and/or enhance arrangements and opportunities for undergraduates and other university members to enjoy Freemasonry.’ We welcome members of all religions and ethnic backgrounds who have a belief in a single Supreme Being. The normal minimum age to join is 21, but dispensations can be obtained for undergraduates from the age of 18. The Lodge meets, and dines, six times per year on the second Mondays of October, November, December, February, March and April in the Liverpool Medical Institution.
4319 – Liverpool Mercantile
Liverpool Mercantile Lodge No 4319 was established in November 1921 to accommodate the growing number of men wishing to join Freemasonry after The First World War.
It drew its membership from businessmen in the city and originally it met at The Exchange Hotel (attached to what was Moorfields Station) in Tithebarn Street. It moved to the Adlphi Hotel and still meets there.
It has never been a large lodge and membership, drawn from a wide range of professions and who live from the south coast of England up to Aberdeen, remains at approximately 30.
6418 – Lodge of Grace
Concecrated 20 November 1947.
Lodge of Grace began life in 1947 originally constituted in the Garston district, its sponsoring lodge being Royal George Lodge No 4119.
During its life it has had a truly Nomadic existence, meeting at various times in Garston, the Carleton Eberle Street. The Constitutional Cub in Tithebarn St, the Masonic Hall Hope Street. Bootle Masonic Hall and Reeces in Liverpool to name but a few. Its present home is The Adelphi in Liverpool.
It celebrated its 50th anniversary in 1997. In 2003 Lodge of Grace amalgamated with Blundellsands Lodge No 2289.
6819 – Adelphi Lodge
Adelphi Lodge No 6819 was consecrated in May 1949.
It was formed as a lodge for businessmen meeting just four times a year.
Except for a short period away the lodge has continued to meet at the Adelphi Hotel in Liverpool.
By the wish of the founders the number of members of the lodge is maintained around 28 and even though the age profile has , like so many other lodges, climbed, it has been fortunate in recent years to have had a full Masonic programme of initiates which is alleviating the unavoidable loss through ‘natural wastage’.
7052 – Compass Lodge
The formation of Compass Lodge was the outcome of discussions which took place almost every week at Kardomah Café, Dale Street on Friday mornings from early 1946. They were started by D C Glass and A E Allen encountering each other and sitting down together to find out where they had met. They were both members of Mariners Lodge No 249.
The fact that they could be members of the same lodge and yet not know each other well turned their thoughts to the fact that Mariners Lodge was so large that one could ‘get lost in the crowd’ and in fact could be missing through illness or any other cause without anybody knowing about it.
Over the weeks and months others joined the “cffee meeting”, the matter was enlarged upon and it was decided they must do something about forming a new lodge where this state of affairs would not be allowed to develop.
D C Glass got busy together with Alfred Emery and eventually was able to announce that the necessary Provincial officers were available and anxious to support the idea.
What followed is recorded in the reprint of the “Preface” to our Bye Laws given below but tribute must be paid to all those who worked behind the scenes prior to the “Official and Recorded Meetings” as it is entirely due to their persistence that the lodge was eventually formed and was not allowed to fall by the wayside as so often happens through lack of determination.
DC Glass and his associates did not fail in determination and it is the sincerest wish of the surviving founders that the Lodge will continue to prosper in every way and not least in maintaining continuous contact with all it’s members and making sure – as a lodge should be – of their welfare.
R E Bascombe PGStdB, the treasurer and senior member of Mariners Lodge was approached in December 1949, and informed of the desire to found a new Lodge, with a view to obtaining his opinion on the project. He expressed his sympathy with the proposal and that there was room, and indeed need, for such a new Lodge. He also expressed the view that Mariners Lodge would willingly act as sponsor.
A meeting of certain members of Mariners Lodge was arranged for the 15 of December, 1949 for the purpose of considering the proposition, this was duly held at the Masonic Hall, Hope Street.
R E Bascombe was voted in the chair. The minute issued by the United Grand Lodge of England governing the conditions for the founding of new lodges was read. After a full discussion it was unanimously agreed that a petition should be proceeded with.
The names of those willing to consider founder membership were noted and it was decided to limit the number to 20.
Assured of the necessary support, several worthy and esteemed members and private brethren of other lodges were contacted with a view to securing the required number of founders.
The number of founders eventually being 17, a further meeting was called for 19 January, 1950 and duly held at the Masonic Hall, Hope Street, Liverpool.
At this meeting acting secretary, A W Dexter, intimated that R E Bascombe would regretfully have to withdraw his support on medical grounds and the consequent necessity of curtailing his many Masonic and other activities. Bro Emery was then voted in the chair.
The names of those submitted to become founders were then read over, and those definitely willing to join the new lodge as founder members confirmed.
At a subsequent meeting held Thursday, 9 March, 1950, the name of the new lodge was considered and various titles submitted. Eventually the name Compass was recommended as being the most appropriate having regard to the fact that the Mariners Lodge as the sponsoring lodge originally met in a tavern called the “Mariner’s Compass”.
Proceeding to the appointment of WM, wardens and officers the following were unanimously recommended for the respective positions.
WM Duncan Kirkman PPrGD.
IPM J Haynes PrGDC.
SW A Emery
JW D C Glass
Treasurer A E Kinkead
Secretary WBro W Park
Charity Rep WBro H Wright
DC W Underwood MM PPrAGDC.
Asst DC F Glover PPrAGDC
Organist A Balshaw
Asst Sec A E Allen
SD W C Worthington
JD Allen Bennett
Inner Guard John Keighley
Stewards JB Singleton, Frank Ball, C A Russell, Bro A J A Finlayson
The above were unanimously approved at a later meeting of all the founders and subsequently installed in these respective offices with the exception of A F Kinkead who retired owing to ill health and was succeeded by H A Wright.
Many subsequent meetings were held to discuss the various requirements leading up to the presenting of the petition and having fillfeild same the petition was signed by all the founder members at a meeting held on 20 July 20 1950, and 7 September 1950 it was submitted to the Mariner’s Lodge No 249 for recommendation. The petition was approved and duly signed in open lodge by the WM AF Kinkead, SW DD Jones, JW WD Hill and forwarded to the Provincial Grand Secretary on 29 October 1950.
On 8 December W Park received a letter from the Provincial Grand Secretary that the Grand Master had been pleased to accede to the prayer of the Petition for the proposed ‘Compass Lodge.
30 May 1951
The first meeting of Compass Lodge No 7052 was consequently held on 30 May 1951.
7256 – King David Lodge
The lodge was consecrated on 8 June 1953, there being 24 founder members. The lodge originally met at Hope Street having nine meetings per year.
Following the fire at Hope Street, the lodge moved, together with several other lodges to the Greenbank Drive Synagogue and remained there even after Hope Street was rebuilt.
The lodge is fully Kosher and at one time was a member of a family of six such lodges in Merseyside.
Sadly, this is now reduced to just three being King David, Lodge of Israel (which meets at Hope Street) and Shalom Lodge No 7542(meeting in Southport). By being Kosher, only strictly Kosher food, properly supervised under the Jewish Laws of Kashruth can be served.
The lodge has always been renowned for the quality of it’s festive board. This remains today with the catering in the very expert hands of Mrs Helena Chait.
King David Lodge continued to prosper for many years with many prominent men in both the Jewish and wider communities giving sterling service.
After the silver jubilee, the lodge, in company with many others, began experiencing great difficulty in finding new blood and, indeed, during 2006 undertook serious discussions as to whether the lodge should in fact continue.
Happily it was decided to continue and following an influx of new blood matters began to improve.
The number of meetings per year had been, four, however as matters were improving it was decided to have an additional meeting. Slowly but surely candidates began to come along and since the decision to continue at least one initiate per year joined and happily, stayed in the lodge.
In 2009 the lodge was informed that the Greenbank Drive Synagogue was due to close. It was decided to move into Childwall Synagogue. This worked reasonably well for a while, however, the started to experience difficulties with the catering arrangements. In 2011 the lodge moved back to Hope Street and became founder members of the new Liverpool Group.
After a while it became more and more difficult for the Lodge to operate at Hope Street, indeed the membership had fallen to just 22 with attendances of members down below 20.
After much discussion it was decided to move back to Childwall, very much within the Liverpool Jewish Community ‘catchment’ area.
The members were able to agree a satisfactory situation with the Synagogue management, particularly with the caterer. And so in October 2014 the lodge came back to Childwall and it has prospered since the move with membership increasing.
Whilst initially it appeared as an imposition clearing away the lodge furniture and setting the room up for dining, it has become a source of great fun among the brethren and is no longer seen as a chore!
There are now 39 members, including two fellowcrafts. It is hoped that at least one new candidate a year will join the lodge.