On this page you will find the histories of the chapters in our group
32 – Jerusalem Chapter
Jerusalem Chapter traces its history back to the early days of Masonry when the Royal Arch masons of what was then Lodge no.25 under the “Ancients” constitution, meeting at Hanna’s in Tarleton Street, formed themselves into a chapter which first met as a separate entity on 19 August 1795. Before then Royal Arch ceremonies had been worked within the lodge itself by its Royal Arch Masons, as was the practice of lodges under the constitution of the “Ancients”.
Following the union of the grand lodges of the Ancients and the Moderns the chapter resolved to apply for a charter for their chapter, attached to lodge no 38 (as the lodge number had by then become). This resolution was passed at a meeting at the Star and Garter in December 1817 but Grand Chapter took its time in issuing the charter: when it finally arrived in 1821, after a sharp reminder, the chapter’s name was shown as Jerusalem Chapter, attached to lodge no 38 and so it remained until lodge numbers were rationalised; Lodge 38 became Lodge 32. In 1821 the annual subscription was one guinea.
Amongst its furnishings the chapter has some items of considerable antiquity and interest. Whilst the ritual follows a conventional pattern it is unique to Jerusalem Chapter. Over its two centuries of existence it has produced several grand superintendents of the Province.
155 – Chapter of Perseverance
The Chapter of Perseverance was formed in 1944 mainly by members of the Lodge of Perseverance No 155 and at that time around 60% of the chapter members were also members of the lodge. Although a strong relationship still exists between chapter and lodge; some 25% of the chapter members are also members of the lodge, the majority of members are drawn from lodges and chapters based in Warrington, Chorley, St Helens and Prescot and other lodges and chapters in Liverpool. The chapter attracts a larger proportion of joining members than is usually found in other chapters.
Chapter meets three times a year at the Adelphi Hotel, Liverpool. One meeting is devoted to the installation of its leader and officers, the others comprising admission of new members, talks by visiting speakers, and demonstrations relating to chapter ritual and ceremony. Formalities are kept to the minimum necessary to fulfil ritual requirements and preserve the dignity of the chapter.
Visiting companions are always warmly welcomed to chapter meetings and the diversity of their backgrounds of chapter members, their good humour and fellowship together with the comfortable meeting place ensures visiting companions enjoy a happy, relaxing and memorable occasion whenever they visit the chapter.
216 – Sacred Delta Chapter
Sacred Delta Chapter No. 216 held its first meeting on 18 September1848, its Warrant dated 2 May 1849.
Previous to this, during the Ancients / Moderns decision Harmonic Lodge No 216 had performed exaltations by qualified companions since their formation on 22 April 1796: at least 60 between 1796 and 1810.
The chapter was a member of the Liverpool Group meeting at the Hall, Hope Street, Liverpool, has now re located to the Britannia Adelphi Hotel and has again become part of the Gladstone Group.
Visiting companions are always warmly welcomed.
680 – Sefton Chapter
History not available
2289 – Blundellsands
History not available
2514 – City Chapter
The chapter was founded in 1922 by 17 members of City Lodge No 2514 who worked in the City of Liverpool as shipping agents, accountants, company directors and solicitors. It met at the Exchange Hotel, Tithebarn Street and belonged to the Second Liverpool Group.
Unfortunately, little is known of the chapter’s early history because the original records were destroyed by enemy action during the ‘Blitz’ of Liverpool in May 1941.
Since 1945 the chapter’s most prominent members have been Kenneth Edward Moxley, who became Provincial Grand Superintendent and Alfred Geoffrey Hirst, M.B.E. Through their influence during the 1980’s and 1990’s the chapter acquired a reputation for the high quality of its ritual and its contribution to Freemasonry.
The chapter continues to meet in Liverpool but now at the Britannia Adelphi Hotel and its members are drawn from across Merseyside. They enjoy a full programme of Masonic and social events resulting in the steady recruitment of new members who are admitted by invitation.
4274 – University Chapter of Liverpool
The University Chapter of Liverpool No 4274, consecrated in 1926, was formed from The University Lodge of Liverpool for students, graduates, including staff, primarily of the University of Liverpool. It is now open to students and graduates of other universities in Liverpool and elsewhere.
6850 – Justice
History not available