A ceremony rarely performed took place in West Lancashire Lodge No 1403 at the Southport Masonic Hall, that of a banner dedication. The lodge was opened up to the third degree by the WM Christopher Wright and the Provincial team were admitted, led by Assistant Provincial Grand Master Frank Umbers and accompanied by Chairman of the Southport Group Phil Stot.
After resuming the lodge in the first degree, Frank addressed the brethren on the purpose of the meeting and explained the importance of the banner. The Provincial choir, led by Rev Cannon Godfrey Hirst then sang an anthem.
Frank called on the Provincial Deputy Grand Director of Ceremonies to form a deputation to carry the banner into the the lodge. The banner bearer was Adam Russell, an entered apprentice of West Lancashire Lodge.
After a hymn by the choir, Godfrey rendered the dedication prayer and the banner was placed in the east. The Provincial choir sang a psalm, followed by an oration by Godfrey. And what an oration it was. He must have scared the life out of his parishioners in Kirkby. He explained the symbols on the banner as being the various homes of West Lancashire Lodge and their meaning
After this, a hymn was sung and the gavel was handed back to the WM and the Provincial team retired. An excellent meal was enjoyed at the festive board and a great night was enjoyed by all.